There is a long history of meetinghouses in our region as centers for town life, a place where all can gather in community – and the Friends of Wendell Meetinghouse is delighted to have reopened our historic meetinghouse to host spiritual, cultural and community gatherings (see more on Meetinghouse events).
We’ve appreciated the community’s input as we have crafted our Four Domains vision on use of the Meetinghouse building:
The Living Room – Gathering place in a café style setting, senior gathering space in partnership with Village Neighbors Inc., children’s play space, tweens and teens club area, reading room with internet, puzzles, and games;
Spirit Circles – celebrations and services, meditation and healing arts sessions, Yoga, Capoeira and other movement-based activities;
Performance Place – concerts, Full Moon Coffee House Partnership, dances, drumming, theater, spoken word, sing-alongs, films;
Maker/Learner Center – craft fairs, visual and performance art gallery and shows, lectures, and workshops.
Wendell’s Meetinghouse was built in 1846 in a Greek Revival style by Luke Leach (see more on the history). It was used continuously as a church until 1972, and then re-opened as a church between 1981 and 1991. Then In 2002, the Wendell Congregational Church sold the building to the non-profit Friends of the Wendell Meetinghouse (FWM).